[R] XLConnect Error

wwreith reith_william at bah.com
Mon Jun 27 20:48:54 CEST 2011

Any ideas of what is happening when I attempt to load XLConnect? I think I
installed everything correctly. I posted what I get when I installed rJava
as well as when I attempted to load rJava directly. Thanks in advance for
any help you can give on this.

library(XLConnect)
Error : .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'rJava', details:
  call: fun(...)
  error: JAVA_HOME cannot be found from the Registry
Error: package 'rJava' could not be loaded

This is the mesage I get when I install rjava:

Installing package(s) into ‘C:/Users/550062/Documents/R/win-library/2.13’
(as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
trying URL
'http://cran.opensourceresources.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.13/rJava_0.9-0.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 654181 bytes (638 Kb)
opened URL
downloaded 638 Kb

package 'rJava' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked

The downloaded packages are in
	C:\Users\550062\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmppIjwgg\downloaded_packages

If I try loading rJava directly I get the samer error as XLConnect:

> library(rJava)
Error : .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'rJava', details:
  call: fun(...)
  error: JAVA_HOME cannot be found from the Registry
Error: package/namespace load failed for 'rJava