[R] Measure the distance/home range along terrain surface

Zulima Tablado Almela zutal at yahoo.es
Wed Jun 29 17:54:49 CEST 2011

Hello all,

I have two questions:

1)Given two coordinates on a digital elevation model (DEM), I would like
to measure the actual distance traveled between the two locations,
assuming a straight line route. Does anyone know the function(if there
exists) to do that in R?

2)How can I calculate or correct the home range size taking into account
the variations in elevation (DEM) within it?

Thank you so much in advance, any suggestion will be very much appreciated,

Zulima