[R] Explained variance for ICA

rex.dwyer at syngenta.com rex.dwyer at syngenta.com
Tue Mar 1 15:01:58 CET 2011

You determine the variance explained by *any* unit vector by taking its inner product with the data points, then finding the variance of the results.  In the case of FastICA, the variance explained by the ICs collectively is exactly the same as the variance explained by the principal components (collectively) from which they are derived.
HTH
Rex