[R] Logistic Stepwise Criterion

Bill.Venables at csiro.au Bill.Venables at csiro.au
Tue Mar 1 23:39:50 CET 2011

The "probability OF the residual deviance" is zero.  The significance level for the residual deviance according to its asymptotic Chi-squared distribution is a possible criterion, but a silly one.  If you want to minimise that, just fit no variables at all.  That's the best you can do. If you want to maximise it, just minimise the deviance itself, which means include all possible variables in the regression, together with as many interactions as you can as well.  (Incidently R doesn't have restrictions on how many interaction terms it can handle, those are imposed my your computer.)

I suggest you think again about what criterion you really want to use.  Somehow you need to balance fit in the training sample against some complexity measure.  AIC and BIC are commonly used criteria, but not the only ones.  I suggest you start with these and see if either does the kind of job you want.

Stepwise regression with interaction terms can be a bit tricky if you want to impose the marginality constraints, but that is a bigger issue.

Bill Venables.