[R] How two compare two matrixes

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Fri Mar 4 19:02:05 CET 2011

I sometimes use the enclosed sideBySide() function to
look at two printouts (of any sort of objects) in
parallel.  Perhaps that would help.

sideBySide <- function (a, b, argNames)
{
    oldWidth <- options(width = getOption("width")/2 - 4)
    on.exit(options(oldWidth))
    if (missing(argNames)) {
        argNames <- c(deparse(substitute(a))[1],
deparse(substitute(b))[1])
    }
    pa <- capture.output(print(a))
    pb <- capture.output(print(b))
    nlines <- max(length(pa), length(pb))
    length(pa) <- nlines
    length(pb) <- nlines
    pb[is.na(pb)] <- ""
    pa[is.na(pa)] <- ""
    retval <- cbind(pa, pb, deparse.level = 0)
    dimnames(retval) <- list(rep("", nrow(retval)), argNames)
    noquote(retval)
}

Try:
  > x1 <- matrix(sort(rnorm(100)),10,10)