[R] Coefficient of Determination for nonlinear function

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 6 14:25:28 CET 2011

> From: uwe.wolfram at uni-ulm.de
> To: andy_liaw at merck.com
> Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2011 17:14:12 +0100
> CC: r-help at r-project.org; gunter.berton at gene.com
> Subject: Re: [R] Coefficient of Determination for nonlinear function
>
> Dear Bert, dear Andy,
>
> thanks for your answers! I am quite aware that I do not fit a linear
> model, so r^2 in Pearson's sens is indeed meaningless. Instead, I am
> "fitting" an equation - or rather using an optimisation - were the
> experimentally derived point cloud (x1, x2, x3) should deliver something
> like 1 = f(x1, x2, x3). What I am trying to estimate is the quality of
> the fit. One thing I computed so far is the standard error of the

The quality of the fit is determined by how much additional funding it allows
you to secure :) Obviously I'm being facetious but there are two real issues
here. You may in fact be modeling revenue numbers as another poster here
explicitly intended. Money or not, the quality is related to some underlying
system you are presumably attempting to understand. Non-linear being a classification
of exclusion it is quite open ended and any generic goodness measure may not
be of much use to you. The other side of my first sentence would be that it is always easy
to shop for a result you want for some purpose other than understanding your data.
You may not state this, but you will likely find many ways to measure your
results and then end up picking the one that agrees the most with what you
want to believe.

The great thing about R is that ad hoc exploratory work is easy and you
may find simply plotting residuals and doing simple sensitivity tests by
perturbing the data can be of some use. Or you may want a specific test
to determine if you have ( say your nonlinear equation is a fit to a spectrum of some kind)
a bunch of gaussian or lorentzian lines for example.
I think I can say with reasonable certainty, "it depends."