[R] linear mixed model with nested factors

David Dudek david.dudek at student.umb.no
Mon Mar 7 19:29:00 CET 2011

Hi R-help.

I am trying to run a linear mixed model with nested factors with either
lme or lmer and I am having no luck obtaining the same results as Minitab.
Here is Minitab's code:

MTB > GLM 'count' = site year replicate(site year) site*year;
SUBC>   Random 'year' 'replicate';

Can you tell me how to code this in R?

The settings are typeII, Tukey, 95%confidence interval, but I know how to
set those in R.

I have basic R skills and I've worked with this on and off for several
days, and have also consulted some people with basic R experience, but
nobody can get it to work as it seems to be a bit complex. I'd prefer to
use R rather than Minitab for the research project I'm working on, but the
time spent on this problem has gotten to be too much.

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
David
student - Norway