[R] linear mixed model with nested factors

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Mon Mar 7 19:48:42 CET 2011

Think about it.

You have asked for help from the R list but have posted no R code,
only Minitab code. That means in order to answer, the helpeR must know
Minitab. Well, some may, but there's certainly no reason to expect so
on an R list.  Don't you therefore think it might be wiser to post a
careful description of your study design and the model you wish to fit
along with any R code attempting to accomplish this, as the posting
guide asks? A minimal reproducible example might also help you get a
response. Again, as the posting guide asks.

FWIW, if your response variable is a count of some sort, you will
probably need glmer in the lme4 package to fit the data, as lme only
fits continuous, approximately Gaussian data. But of course, with no
details, this is just a guess.

-- Bert

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 10:29 AM, David Dudek <david.dudek at student.umb.no> wrote:
> Hi R-help.
>
> I am trying to run a linear mixed model with nested factors with either
> lme or lmer and I am having no luck obtaining the same results as Minitab.
> Here is Minitab's code:
>
> MTB > GLM 'count' = site year replicate(site year) site*year;
> SUBC>   Random 'year' 'replicate';
>
> Can you tell me how to code this in R?
>
> The settings are typeII, Tukey, 95%confidence interval, but I know how to
> set those in R.
>
> I have basic R skills and I've worked with this on and off for several
> days, and have also consulted some people with basic R experience, but
> nobody can get it to work as it seems to be a bit complex. I'd prefer to
> use R rather than Minitab for the research project I'm working on, but the
> time spent on this problem has gotten to be too much.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Sincerely,
> David
> student - Norway