[R] This is supposed to predict a time series?!

Peter Ehlers ehlers at ucalgary.ca
Tue Mar 8 12:13:30 CET 2011

On 2011-03-07 20:27, Ben Simpkins wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just ran the predict.StructTS function using the AirPassengers data
> and got a ridiculous result. Here's what I ended up with:
> http://24.210.155.111/PredictWhat!.pdf
>
> Who wrote this? Am I seriously supposed to think this function would
> accurately predict a time series?

If you knew how to use the function correctly, I suppose that
it would be reasonable to expect you to trust its output, at
least within the limits of uncertainty.

Perhaps you could post the code that led you to be so
scornful about the efforts of whoever did create the
function.

It's been my experience that users are often quick to
blame the software for their own faulty code.
I had no problem obtaining reasonable predicted values
for the data.

> -AnalogKid
Ah, well, perhaps it's just youthful braggadocio.

Peter Ehlers