[R] If Statement

dpender d.pender.1 at research.gla.ac.uk
Tue Mar 8 13:07:03 CET 2011

Hi,

I am having some problems using the if statement correctly.  I have used it
many times previously so I dona't know what is different with this case.
Here is my problem:

I have a 1X10 matrix of values as follows:

> H.MC
          [,1]
 [1,] 4.257669
 [2,] 7.023242
 [3,] 4.949857
 [4,] 5.107000
 [5,] 4.257669
 [6,] 4.257669
 [7,] 4.257669
 [8,] 4.257669
 [9,] 4.257669
[10,] 4.257669

What I want to do is replace all the values if 4.257669 with a random number
between 3 and 4.5.  To do this I have:

H.MC.fin <- matrix(0,10,1)

for (j in 1:10) {

if(H.MC[j] == 4.257669) H.MC.fin[j] <-runif(1,3,4.5) else H.MC.fin[j] <-
H.MC[j]

}

This doesn't seem to do anything and H.MC.fin is the same as H.MC.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

Doug