[R] How to enforce location of installation of downloaded packages

Frank Harrell f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Wed Mar 9 00:53:42 CET 2011

Using R on Linux I want to force downloaded packages to go into
/usr/local/lib/R/site-library.  I have an .Rprofile file in my home
directory containing the following:

options(help_type='html', browser='chromium-browser',
repos='http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/languages/R/CRAN',
lib='/usr/local/lib/R/site-library')

But sometimes install.packages (with R run as superuser using sudo) will
create a directory called x86... under ~/R and put installed packages there.
How do I force the system to always use /usr/local/lib/...?

Thanks
Frank

-----
Frank Harrell