[R] Error in plot.lm

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Fri Mar 11 20:06:28 CET 2011

I am encountering an error with plot.lm:

> tstdf <- data.frame( y=c(1.01,1.98,3.02,3.99),x=c(1,2,3,4))
> plot(lm(I(y) ~ x, data=tstdf))
Hit <Return> to see next plot:
Hit <Return> to see next plot:
Error in object$coefficients : $ operator is invalid for atomic vectors

Obviously I don't need the I() in this example, but I have been working
with regressions that involve an expression on the left side of the
formula, for which I do need the I().  I can work around by declaring a
new actual column with the computed result, but this seems otherwise
unnecessary.

Is this behaviour intended?

> R.Version()
$platform