[R] betareg help

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at uibk.ac.at
Sun Mar 13 19:21:26 CET 2011

On Sun, 13 Mar 2011, Vlatka Matkovic Puljic wrote:

> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21595123/Book1.csv

Thanks. As I suspected. Due to the many 0.001 values, the starting value
selection does not work well. In the development version of betareg() I've
added a more useful warning message and an ad hoc workaround. Until it's
available, you need to select your own starting values (as suggested in my
previous e-mail).

For example:

## data
d <- read.csv2("Book1.csv")

## starting values
cf <- coef(lm(qlogis(cond) ~ alcoh + drug, data = d))

## basic regression model
m <- betareg(cond ~ alcoh + drug, data = d,
   start = list(mean = cf, precision = 1))

## with precision regression
m2 <- betareg(cond ~ alcoh + drug | alcoh + drug, data = d,
   start = list(mean = cf, precision = c(1, 0, 0)))

## estimate only a threshold model
m3 <- glm(factor(cond > 0.001) ~ alcoh + drug, data = d, family = binomial)

All three models show some positive but non-significant association
between the response and the regressors.

hth,