[R] install.packages & reshape failure

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 00:13:40 CET 2011

Hi Geoff,

What is your platform and R version?  I cannot replicate on either:

R version 2.12.1 (2010-12-16)
Platform: i386-pc-mingw32/i386 (32-bit)
attached base packages:
other attached packages:
[1] reshape_0.8.4 plyr_1.4
[1] tools_2.12.1

R version 2.13.0 Under development (unstable) (2011-03-08 r54703)
Platform: x86_64-pc-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)
attached base packages:
[1] tcltk     stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods   base
other attached packages:
[1] reshape_0.8.4 plyr_1.4

Are you doing anything else in your .Rprofile (i.e., maybe there is a
more complex interaction going on)?  What happens if you start a
vanilla R session, then:

require(reshape)
require(tcltk)
install.packages("quantreg")

?

Cheers,

Josh

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 3:50 PM, Geoff Russell
<geoffrey.russell at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure where I should send this, I don't have a bugzilla account,
> but ... it concerns an interaction between library(reshape) and
> install.packages() ...
>
> My current .Rprofile includes: library(reshape)
>
> After which install.packages fails ... e.g.,
>
>> install.packages("quantreg")
> Warning in install.packages("quantreg") :
>  argument 'lib' is missing: using '/usr/local/lib/R/site-library'
> --- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
> Error in try(function ()  : unused argument(s) (function ()
>
> Removing the "library(reshape)" from the .Rprofile fixes the problem.
>
> Cheers,
> Geoff

Joshua Wiley
Ph.D. Student, Health Psychology