[R] JAGS/BUGS on gene expression data

nblarson nblarson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 16:06:40 CET 2011

Has anybody had issues running MCMC (either BUGS or JAGS) on data sets of
this magnitude (ie 30k x 20-30).  I've been trying to run a hierarchical
random effects model on expression data but R completely stalls out on jobs
run on 32bit R on our server (doesn't respond...then eventually crashes out
with an exception fault).  Would using 64bit R help with JAGS?  (As far as I
know there's only a 32bit build of BRugs so BUGS is out) Currently the
server doesn't have 64 bit JAGS installed but I've put in a request.  It
seems that compiling the model is what's crashing R at this point.

My last resort is to hardcode everything in C, but I'd like to avoid that.