[R] *Building* a covariance matrix efficiently

rex.dwyer at syngenta.com rex.dwyer at syngenta.com
Mon Mar 14 17:43:16 CET 2011

Tjerk,
This is just a pseudo code outline of what you need to do:

M = matrix(0, number of variables, number of variables)
V = rep(0, number of variables)
N = 0
While (more observations to read) {
   X <- next observation
   V <- V + X
   M <- M + outer(X,X)
   N <- N+1
}
Compute covariance matrix from elements of V,M, and N

You just need to refer to the formula defining covariance.
Outlook seems to think all my variables should be upper case.

HTH
Rex