[R] Goodness of fit with robust regression

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Mon Mar 14 18:21:32 CET 2011

Hi:

Just a few additional comments to Spencer's.

1. There is an R-SIG-Robust group that you may wish to post your
question to if you have not already done so. There you **should** find
experts to help you, of which I'm also not one.

2. The situation regarding the effectiveness of robust techniques is
not so grim as Spencer seems to imply. Heuristics have been backed up
by more than 30 years of simulations and asymptotic work. Asymptotic
optimality (which may or may not be all that useful) has been shown
for certain approaches in certain situations. Generally and vaguely
speaking, many "standard" (e.g. M-estimators) robust estimation
methods (e.g. Tukey biweight) have been found to be fairly harmless
(little loss of efficiency) when the data are "well-behaved" and
potentially lots better when they are not.

3. A big problem in establishing reference distributions (for
inference) for the various approaches is that robustness weights
depend on data and fitting parameters. If you can automate the
selection of these in some way, simulation can always be used -- and
is, I believe, what is generally recommended for inference.

4. Probably the most important and difficult issue in applying robust
methods is finding good starting values. That's why MASS's rlm
function has a well thought-out strategy of using a very low
efficiency but high resistance (and typically computationally
intensive) estimator to produce "safe" initial starting guesses from
which an M-estimator than iterates to a solution (typically very
quickly). This is also something that needs to be automated (as rlm
does) for simulation/bootstrap based inference.

But again: Please refer to (1) above. All of my "advice" is subject to
modification by the folks there.

Cheers,
Bert

Bert Gunter