[R] Fitting 4 moments distribution w/ Mixture Gaussian

Sam R samuel.penagos at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 14 18:16:48 CET 2011

Hello,

I know that Mclust does the fitting on its own but I am trying to implement
an optimization with the aim to generate a the mixture gaussian with the
combine moments as closed as possible to the moment of my return
distribution.

The objective is to Min Abs((Mean Ret - MeanFit)/Mean Fit) + Abs((Std Ret
-Stdev Fit)/Stdev) + Abs((Sk Ret-Sk fit)/Sk Fit) + Abs((Kurt Ret- Kurt Fit))

Taking into account that I fix the weight between the two gaussians at
(0.2;0.8) I implemented the below code in R:

distance <-function(parameter,x) {
 u=mean(x)
 s=sd(x)
 sk=skewness(x)
 kurt=kurtosis(x)
 d1=dnorm(x,parameter[1],parameter[2])
 d2=dnorm(x,parameter[3],parameter[4])
 dfit=0.2d1+0.8d2
 ufit=mean(dfit)
 sdfit=sd(dfit)
 skfit=skewness(fit)
 kurtfit=kurtosis(fit)

abs((u-ufit)/ufit)+abs(s-sdfit)/sdfit)+abs((sk-skfit)/skfit)+abs((kurt-kurtfit)/kurtfit))
}
Parameter<-c(0,0.01,0,0.01)  ' starting point of the optimization
opp<-optim(parameter,distance,x=conv)

1/ could anybody tell me whether it is the right approach ?
2/ should I add some constraint like
 ufit=0.2*mean(d1)+0.8*mean(d2)...

thank you very much in advance for your time and help.

Sam