[R] (no subject)

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Mon Mar 14 19:58:35 CET 2011

On Mar 14, 2011, at 12:25 PM, Andreas Emanuelsson wrote:

> Hi everyone, I have problems with a double for loop and the program
> response: "Error in 1:mass[j] : NA/NaN argument"
>
> I'm trying to create a very simple script to generate a vector full
> of objects with the value [fuel] and in the amount [mass] for a hist
> plot.
>
> H=1
> for (j in 1:63)
>                             {for (i in 1:mass[j])
>
> { H[length(H)+1]=fuel[j]}
>                             }
>
> What does the error mean?(where do I find explanations for such
> issues?

You seem to need to read up on basic R programming. That would appear
to be an assignment task for which an indexed solution would be much
more appropriate. It is really rather bizarre to walk along a vector
(as you do for `mass`) without doing anything in the function body
with the index.

H <- vector(64, "numeric")
H[2:64] <- fuel[1:63]

> Why does not a simple for loop work?
>
> Error in 1:mass[j] : NA/NaN argument

It appears that for some value between 1 and 63, a value for mass[j]
is missing. Without a better description of the data (specifically
`mass`), not much more can be said.