[R] help files for a function

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 07:06:03 CET 2011

Hi Erin,

There is no "appropriate directory" until you have a package.  Until
the package is built, R will not access and use the help
documentation.  So I guess the answer is, "wherever it is convenient
for you to find and edit as your function develops until the time when
you put it in one of your packages however small and generally not
meant for distribution to others that particular package may be".

Cheers,

Josh

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 9:38 PM, Erin Hodgess <erinm.hodgess at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear R People:
>
> Suppose I have the following function and I generate the documentation for it:
>
>> f <- function(x) {
> + return(x^2)
> + }
>> prompt(f)
> Created file named 'f.Rd'.
> Edit the file and move it to the appropriate directory.
>>

> What would be the appropriate directory if I haven't created my new
> package yet, please?
>
> Thanks,
> Erin
>

> --
> Erin Hodgess
> Associate Professor
> Department of Computer and Mathematical Sciences
> University of Houston - Downtown
> mailto: erinm.hodgess at gmail.com

Joshua Wiley
Ph.D. Student, Health Psychology