[R] Singularity problem

rex.dwyer at syngenta.com rex.dwyer at syngenta.com
Wed Mar 16 21:25:38 CET 2011

Feng,
Your matrix is *not* (practically) singular; its inverse is.
The message said that the *system* was singular, not the matrix.
Remember Cramer's Rule:  xi = |Ai| / |A|
The really, really large determinant of your matrix is going to appear in the denominator of your solutions, so, essentially, you get underflow. Try working out the entire solution with Cramer's Rule if you still don't see the problem.  solve doesn't really use Cramer's Rule, but it will give you a feel for the issue.
HTH
Rex