[R] rJava software

LCOG1 jroll at lcog.org
Thu Mar 17 00:56:32 CET 2011

Hey everyone,
    I just saw a demonstration of a model that is built entirely in R that
allows for transportation greenhouse gas related scenario testing and it
used an awesome GUI utilizing iplots, rJava and gWidgets libraries.  Very
cool stuff.  I am a somewhat seasoned R user but cannot seem to figure out
what rJava needs to run correctly.

I have installed Java but when i load the rJava library i get the following
error

Error in utils::readRegistry(key, "HLM", 2) :
  Registry key 'Software\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment' not found
Error in utils::readRegistry(key, "HLM", 2) :
  Registry key 'Software\JavaSoft\Java Development Kit' not found
Error : .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'rJava', details:
  call: fun(...)
  error: JAVA_HOME cannot be found from the Registry
Error: package/namespace load failed for 'rJava'

Similar posts didnt seem to have the same issue and im confused as to what
my problem is.  Do i need additional Java software?  Also, does it matter
where java is installed?  Do i need to do something special to point it in
the right direction.  Thanks and i hope you can help quickly, i am very
excited to build a GUI for one of my land use models!!

JR