[R] lmm WITHOUT random factor (lme4)

Mark Difford mark_difford at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 17 16:13:17 CET 2011

On Mar 17, 2011; 04:29pm Thierry Onkelinx wrote:

>> You cannot compare lm() with lme() because the likelihoods are not the
>> same. Use gls() instead of lm()

Hi Thierry,

Of course, I stand subject to correction, but unless something dramatic has
changed, you can. gls() can be used if you need to accommodate a correlation
structure.

The method I have outlined, i.e. anova(lme$obj, lm$obj), is detailed in
Pinheiro & Bates (2000) beginning page 154. Please refer to this if you
doubt me.

Regards, Mark.