[R] Beginner question: How to replace part of a filename in read.csv?

pierz s.piersma at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 16:05:47 CET 2011

I would like to use samp as a part of a filename that I can change. My source
files are .csv files with date as the file name, and I would like to be able
to type in the date (later perhaps automate this using list.files) and then
read the csv and write the pdf automatically. I have tried different
combinations with "" and () around samp, but I keep getting the error
"object 'samp.csv' not found".

samp <- "20110317"
read.csv(file=samp.csv,...)
#next R processes some code that works fine, and then should save the
figure:
pdf(file=samp.pdf,...)
dev.off()

How can I get R to replace samp as 20110317 in front of .csv and .pdf?

Best,
Sjouke