[R] Performance Difference? Windows vs. Linux

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com
Sat Mar 19 01:35:47 CET 2011

       Others can discuss the comparative speed.  I recently installed
Linux on a new quad core computer I purchased.  I found it surprisingly
easy to learn how to do the things I needed.  Now the hard drive is
dying on my Vista notebook computer.  In shopping for a replacement, I
likely will insist on Linux, even if I have to create a secondary
partition and install Linux myself.

       A friend installed Linux for me, but he has not been available to
answer all my questions.  For that, Google has been quite helpful.

       I installed Linux, because it offered more flexibility than I
could get with any version of Windows.  For example, on my dual core
Vista machine, I can't run two Python sessions simultaneously.  I'm
doing real time downloads and uploads with an FTP site.  I was doing
those under Vista, but Windows could not be easily extended to multiple
applications like that in parallel without paying more for Windows
Server than I paid for the hardware.  So far, I'm working fine with 2 GB
RAM under Linux with fewer problems than I have with 8 GB RAM under Vista.

       Hope this helps.
       Spencer Graves