[R] [O/T] reference for regular expressions

David Wolfskill r at catwhisker.org
Sat Mar 19 04:02:02 CET 2011

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 09:45:57PM -0500, Erin Hodgess wrote:
> Dear R People:
>
> Could someone recommend a good reference on regular expressions, please?

Mastering Regular Expressions; Friedl, Jeffrey E. F.; ISBN
9780596528126.

Many of the O'Reilly books (as this one) may be purchased in an
electronic format , which is often slightly less expensive, can be
faster to arrive, and is readily amenable (in the case of O'Reilly, at
least) to low-cost (or free) electronic delivery of updates.

That said, another approach would be to run Perl in debug mode against
some (Perl) script, and use the debugger to see exactly what matches
(and what happens when you change something).  You might able to do this
with R's browser() fiunction, at least to some extenr; I confess that I
have a great deal more experience with Perl, so I'm more comfortable
experimenting in that way using the Perl debugger.  (And in any case,
Perl is well-known for the facility with which one may use regular
expressions in it.)

The above are not (intended as) mutually exclusive.

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				r at catwhisker.org
Depriving a girl or boy of an opportunity for education is evil.