[R] Libraries issue

Henrik Bengtsson hb at biostat.ucsf.edu
Sat Mar 19 20:38:14 CET 2011

Hi.

On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 12:17 PM, peter dalgaard <pdalgd at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mar 19, 2011, at 17:37 , Ben Ward wrote:
>
>> Hi, I've just discovered R keeps installing my packages into
>> C:\Users\Ben instead of "C:\\Users\\Ben;/R/win-library/2.12" which is
>> what is returned by running Sys.getenv("R_LIBS_USER").
>>

> Er, I'm rusty on Windows, but that's what it is supposed to do, isn't it? It's a path with two semicolon separated directories.

Unless explicitly requested to be so, most likely it is indeed meant
to be without the semicolon, i.e. "C:\\Users\\Ben/R/win-library/2.12"
(or "normalized" "C:\\Users\\Ben\R\win-library\2.12", but that doesn't
matter here).  This is in line with what is said in help(".libPaths"):

"By default R_LIBS is unset, and R_LIBS_USER is set to subdirectory
‘R/win-library/x.y’ of the home directory, for R x.y.z."

Here are my Windows environment variables:

> Sys.getenv("R_LIBS_USER")
                       R_LIBS_USER
"C:\\Users\\hb/R/win-library/2.12"

> Sys.getenv("HOME")
           HOME
"C:\\Users\\hb"

There should certainly not be any semicolons in the latter.  If you
set HOME to "C:\\Users\\hb;" before starting R, you do get:

> Sys.getenv("R_LIBS_USER")
                        R_LIBS_USER
"C:\\Users\\hb;/R/win-library/2.12"

My $.02