[R] read file part way through based on start and end date (first column)

algotr8der algotr8der at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 20:47:26 CET 2011

Hello folks - I have been trying to figure this out. I have a set of very
large files that are of this format

, , , ,
1/4/1999,9:31:00 AM,blah, blah, blah
1/4/1999,9:32:00 AM,blah, blah, blah
1/4/1999,9:33:00 AM,blah, blah, blah

I want to write R code that reads only that data between a start and an end
date (data is presented from oldest at the top of the file to the most
recent at the bottom of the file). I'm not sure if there is an R function
that makes this easy.

I know the read.csv function enables you to skip a user specified number of
rows before the file is read but this doesnt exactly help me as my start and
end dates can be anywhere in between.

Appreciate the help.