[R] help regarding RPostgreSQL and R 2.12.2

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Mar 21 09:09:22 CET 2011

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011, Shaunak Bangale wrote:

> Prof Ripley,
> Thanks for the first reply. Yes, I am using windows xp.
> The problem that I am facing is:
> I want to use RPostgreSQL and xtable packages together.
> R 2.11.1 has RPostgreSQL but not xtable.  R 2.12.2 has xtable but not RPostgreSQL.
> I suppose there should be some way to use RPostgreSQL with R 2.12.2.
> Sorry if I am sounding naïve, but How do I do the compilation that you just mentioned?
> With your suggestion I went through RW-FAQs , posting guide.

You still haven't followed them!  Where is the 'at a minimum'
information asked for in the posting guide?

> I ended up at the this page: http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.12/ReadMe
> That says: ' Packages related to many database system must be linked to the exact
> version of the database system the user has installed, hence it does
> not make sense to provide binaries for packages '
> PostgreSQL 9.0 is installed on my system which I am trying to integrate with R 2.12.2.
> Please throw some light on what can be done.

You compile from the sources.  See
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/rw-FAQ.html#Can-I-install-packages-into-libraries-in-this-version_003f
and the references therein.

It seems unreasonable (and 'naive') to expect the people who gave you
the free gift of R *and* wrote the FAQs to search and read them for
you.

In any case, you are simply wrong in your premise: xtable does exist
for R 2.11.1 and you could very easily install that from the sources
or use
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.11/xtable_1.5-6.zip

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk