[R] Correlation for no of variables

Patrick Burns pburns at pburns.seanet.com
Mon Mar 21 20:24:46 CET 2011

Getting the correlation of a 1000 by 1500
matrix takes about 3.5 seconds on my
unimpressive Windows machine.  Is that
really a tremendous amount of time?

You don't say what you are using the
correlation matrix for.  It is common for
a semi-definite matrix (as you will be getting)
to cause problems for applications.

Some ways of getting a positive definite
matrix are explained in the blog post:
http://www.portfolioprobe.com/2011/03/07/factor-models-of-variance-in-finance/