[R] Rmark and scientific notation issue

odaniel odaniel at utas.edu.au
Tue Mar 22 04:11:01 CET 2011

Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone might know a way to stop R reading my survival
history that has zeros at the beginning in as scientific notation. The data
is being read in from a .txt file via read.table to be used with Rmark
I have the same issues at the moment with reading in .csv and .xls files.
The number was formatted as text in the .xls file otherwise excel puts it
into scientific notation automatically as well.

Example of current data
1100111100       0   0
1.101e+09         0   0
1101100000       0   0
1101111011       0   0
1101111100       0   0
1.11e+09           0   0

What it should be
1100111100      0   0
0000001101      0   0
1101100000      0   0
1101111011      0   0
1101111100      0   0
0000000111      0   0

I am using Microsoft Office Excel 2003 or Notepad++ to view or change my
data file ext. just in case this is an issue.

Cheers