[R] Loading mdb

LCOG1 jroll at lcog.org
Tue Mar 22 18:05:15 CET 2011

Well im thoroughly frustrated after 25 minutes of checking and rechecking my
path.  What do i not know about loading a mdb that is keeping me from

i have loaded the Hmisc library and pointed it too my data using mdb.get and
continue to get the following error.

Error in system(paste("mdb-tables -1", file), intern = TRUE) :
  'mdb-tables' not found

Which i realize is saying that its not reading any tables within the mdb or
not able to find any mdb at all at that location.

the command i use is simply:

RawInv.data..<-mdb.get('T:/Models/LandUse/GenericLandSupplyModel/Projects/2008BaseYear/EugeneUGB/Reporting/Summary.mdb')

There is definitely a mdb in that location and the path is definitely
correct.  Its an MS Access mdb with 4 tables.  When i open the said mdb i
have to hit enter at a password window but no password is required.  Could
this be hanging up R from reading it?  I have typically used dbf and csv or
txt for import formats and am not real familiar with mdb but i realize how
elementary this question is but i have spent 25 minutes now.  What am i
missing.

Thanks

JR