[R] Popularity of R, SAS, SPSS, Stata, Statistica, S-PLUS updated

Michael Friendly friendly at yorku.ca
Tue Mar 22 21:36:58 CET 2011

On 3/22/2011 6:37 AM, Muenchen, Robert A (Bob) wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I've just put out the latest version of "The Popularity of Data Analysis Software" at http://r4stats.com/popularity. This update includes complete data for 2010, the addition of number of blogs for each software, more coverage of Statistica, and, where possible, measures regarding the implementations of the SAS Language: Carolina and the World Programming System (WPS).

I don't doubt that R may be the "most popular" in terms of discussion
group traffic, but you should be aware that the traffic for SAS
comprises two
separate lists that used to be mirrored, but are no longer linked
Usenet --  news://comp.soft-sys.sas  (what you counted)
listserve -- "SAS-L" http://www.listserv.uga.edu/archives/sas-l.html

They were split sometime around the point where your graph shows a
downturn, and now comp.soft-sys.sas is considered the "dark-side" of
SAS-L.  You know of the existence of SAS-L, but you haven't counted
that traffic, AFAICS.

-Michael

--
Michael Friendly     Email: friendly AT yorku DOT ca
Professor, Psychology Dept.