[R] Modifying a particular column in a tab-delimited file

jim holtman jholtman at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 22:30:27 CET 2011

You would still have to read every file in, extract the column, modify
it, put it back in the file in the right place and then write the file
out.  With a text file that is just a stream of characters, you do not
know where a row is unless you read in the entire file.  You might
want to consider using a database that would allow such an operation,
but with a CSV that is what you have to do.  For example, how easy
would it be to do with a standard text editor?

--
Jim Holtman
Data Munger Guru