[R] Help needed with plot axis labeling

Thomas Adams Thomas.Adams at noaa.gov
Thu Mar 24 14:55:02 CET 2011

  I have looked at many examples and tried many different combinations
of doing this, but with no luck. I have something like this:

plot(1:10, xaxt = "n")
axis(1, xaxp=c(2, 9, 7))
axis(4)

but, what I need is to have different labels for axis-4 than those for
axis-2 (the vertical axes) — that is, rather than 2,4,6,8,10 for both
the left and right vertical axes, I need A,B,C,D,E on the right — but at
the same tick locations as those on the left. I have tried using at=1:5,
labels=c(…), but either nothing happens or I overwrite axis-4 at
different tick locations; in any case, not what I need. How can I do this?

Regards,
Tom

--
Thomas E Adams