[R] library(foreign) read.spss warning

Matt Shotwell matt at biostatmatt.com
Sun Mar 27 04:10:51 CEST 2011

There is some information about this subtype in the PSPP source code,
and for other subtypes not yet implemented by read.spss. The PSPP source
code indicates that this subtype consists of "Value labels for long
strings", which isn't very illuminating to me (probably because I don't
use PSPP, or SPSS, though I increasingly have need to import SPSS data
files). Copied below are the relevant bits.

-Matt

>From (the PSPP source file) src/data/sys-file-reader.c:

enum
  {
    /* subtypes 0-2 unknown */
    EXT_INTEGER       = 3,      /* Machine integer info. */
    EXT_FLOAT         = 4,      /* Machine floating-point info. */
    EXT_VAR_SETS      = 5,      /* Variable sets. */
    EXT_DATE          = 6,      /* DATE. */
    EXT_MRSETS        = 7,      /* Multiple response sets. */
    EXT_DATA_ENTRY    = 8,      /* SPSS Data Entry. */
    /* subtypes 9-10 unknown */
    EXT_DISPLAY       = 11,     /* Variable display parameters. */
    /* subtype 12 unknown */
    EXT_LONG_NAMES    = 13,     /* Long variable names. */
    EXT_LONG_STRINGS  = 14,     /* Long strings. */
    /* subtype 15 unknown */
    EXT_NCASES        = 16,     /* Extended number of cases. */
    EXT_FILE_ATTRS    = 17,     /* Data file attributes. */
    EXT_VAR_ATTRS     = 18,     /* Variable attributes. */
    EXT_MRSETS2       = 19,     /* Multiple response sets (extended). */
    EXT_ENCODING      = 20,     /* Character encoding. */
    EXT_LONG_LABELS   = 21      /* Value labels for long strings. */
  };

and

  static const struct extension_record_type types[] =
    {
      /* Implemented record types. */
      { EXT_INTEGER,      4, 8 },
      { EXT_FLOAT,        8, 3 },