[R] Installing a Package tar.gz in windows

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 14:47:57 CEST 2011

On 28/03/2011 8:04 AM, Luis Felipe Parra wrote:
> Thanks Duncan, I already installed Rtools but I don't know well how to sort
> it out. I tried the command you gave me and got the following error:
>
> >  install.packages("fPortfolioSolver.tar.gz", type="source", repos=NULL)
> Installing package(s) into ‘C:\Users\Hp\Documents/R/win-library/2.12’
> (as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
> Aviso: invalid package 'fPortfolioSolver.tar.gz'
> Error: ERROR: no packages specified
> Mensajes de aviso perdidos
> 1: running command 'C:\PROGRA~1\R\R-212~1.2/bin/i386/R CMD INSTALL -l
> "C:\Users\Hp\Documents/R/win-library/2.12"   "fPortfolioSolver.tar.gz"' had
> status 1
> 2: In install.packages("fPortfolioSolver.tar.gz", type = "source",  :
>    installation of package 'fPortfolioSolver.tar.gz' had non-zero exit status
> >

> Do you know what might be going on or  where I can find a manual of how to
> use Rtools? Thank you

The likely problem is that you didn't give the full path to the tar.gz
file.  If it is not in the working directory, that install.packages
command will fail.

An easy way to get the path is to use

filename <- file.choose()

which brings up a Windows dialog; go search for the file, and its name
will be saved in the filename variable.  Then use
install.packages(filename,  type="source", repos=NULL).

Duncan Murdoch