[R] Many cores support in R (Multicore Package)

Alaios alaios at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 29 12:24:02 CEST 2011

Dear all,
I am trying to improve my code for many cores.
I have started with multicore package and the function mclapply. A multicore version of the lcapply.

One problem I have is that when I use this function (you can copy and paste the below)

require('multicore')
returni <-function(i) {i}
system.time(mclapply(seq(1:100000),returni))

I get 4 more versions of rkward.bin running (my gui is rkward). I would not care that much about that instances if each one consumed 1 GB of memory.

I am not sure why this happens. Did you ever have this type of problem with mclapply?

I would like to thank you in advance for your help.

Regards
Alex