[R] Installing a Package tar.gz in windows

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 13:03:47 CEST 2011

On 11-03-28 6:41 PM, Luis Felipe Parra wrote:
> Duncan I have been trying to work out the solution you gave me but I
> haven't really got to sort it out. I tried first the option with install
> packages and got this:
>
>  > filename <- file.choose()
>  > filename
> [1] "C:\\Users\\Hp\\Documents\\R\\win-library\\2.12\\Rsymphony_0.1-12.tar.gz
>  > install.packages(filename,  type="source", repos=NULL)
> Installing package(s) into ‘C:\Users\Hp\Documents/R/win-library/2.12’
> (as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
> * installing *source* package 'Rsymphony' ...
> ERROR: configuration failed for package 'Rsymphony'

This is the important message.  It says Rsymphony can't be installed on
your system, because you're missing something it needs.  You might get
more information if you run this on the command line, but basically you
need to read the system requirements for the package and follow them.
The one I see when I look at it on CRAN is:

SYMPHONY for Windows (sources included for other OSes)

If you don't have that, then you won't be able to install this package
on Windows.

Duncan Murdoch