[R] Problem with Snowball & RWeka

Jean-Pierre Müller jean-pierre.mueller at unil.ch
Wed Mar 30 09:21:20 CEST 2011

Dear Forum,

I have also problems Snowball (macos, fresh install of rJava, RWeka, RWekajars, Snowball
from http://cran.ch.r-project.org/bin/macosx/leopard/ ):

> library(Snowball)
> example(SnowballStemmer)

SnwblS> ## Test the supplied vocabulary for the default stemmer ('porter'):
SnwblS> source <- readLines(system.file("words", "porter","voc.txt",
SnwblS+                                 package = "Snowball"))

SnwblS> result <- SnowballStemmer(source)
Erreur dans .jnew(name) :
  java.lang.InternalError: Can't start the AWT because Java was started on the first thread.  Make sure StartOnFirstThread is not specified in your application's Info.plist or on the command line
Trying to add database driver (JDBC): RmiJdbc.RJDriver - Warning, not in CLASSPATH?
Trying to add database driver (JDBC): jdbc.idbDriver - Warning, not in CLASSPATH?
Trying to add database driver (JDBC): org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver - Warning, not in CLASSPATH?
Trying to add database driver (JDBC): com.mckoi.JDBCDriver - Warning, not in CLASSPATH?
Trying to add database driver (JDBC): org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver - Warning, not in CLASSPATH?
> example(SnowballStemmer)

SnwblS> ## Test the supplied vocabulary for the default stemmer ('porter'):
SnwblS> source <- readLines(system.file("words", "porter","voc.txt",
SnwblS+                                 package = "Snowball"))

SnwblS> result <- SnowballStemmer(source)

SnwblS> target <- readLines(system.file("words", "porter", "output.txt",
SnwblS+                                 package = "Snowball"))

SnwblS> ## Any differences?
SnwblS> any(result != target)
[1] TRUE
Stemmer 'porter' unknown!
> sessionInfo()
R version 2.12.1 (2010-12-16)
Platform: i386-apple-darwin9.8.0/i386 (32-bit)

locale:
[1] fr_FR/fr_FR/fr_FR/C/fr_FR/fr_FR

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
[1] Snowball_0.0-7

[1] grid_2.12.1       rJava_0.8-8       RWeka_0.4-3       RWekajars_3.7.3-1 tools_2.12.1

Any hints?

Thanks!