[R] Using graphics straight from R into published articles

baptiste auguie baptiste.auguie at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 30 22:24:52 CEST 2011

Hi,

For most purposes, I find that R graphics get 95% of the work done
towards final publication. A couple of personal comments,

- lattice, ggplot2, RColorBrewer, evidently. ggplot2, in particular,
makes really good aesthetic decisions by default.

- whilst R devices are really good, I find there is not yet a perfect
device that combines all the features I need; thus, I may choose
between pdf, eps (when the editor is old-school), tikzDevice (when the
graph contains labels or mathematical expressions not well rendered by
the R graphics engine). I used to use png for large colour-scale
image()s, but I find recently that the rasterImage / grid.raster
functions offer a better alternative on devices that support it
(typically pdf, but not yet tikzDevice).

- I find there is a fine trade-off between having a fully-reproducible
graph from a script (a good thing), and the legibility of that script
if it has to include all the tedious fiddling with that may be
required for final publication. I produced lattice graphs in the past
that required more than ten lines of code, and found the code really
difficult to follow or reuse later if, say, the coordinates range of
the data had changed.
If the script grows too large because I need to tweak the coordinates
of many annotations manually by trial-and-error, I usually strip down
the graph to its minimal content and add the annotations manually in
Illustrator. The data and its mapping to the axes are always fully
reproducible (that's the important part), but aesthetic decisions are
often easier to control in a what-you-click-is-what-you-do program.

My 2 cents,

baptiste