[R] how about a "<p-" operator?

Carl Witthoft carl at witthoft.com
Thu Mar 31 01:00:03 CEST 2011

I was cursing Matlab again today (what else is new) because the default
action for every Matlab command is to spew the result to the console,
and one must remember to put that darn ";"  at the end of every line.

So I just wondered:  was there ever a discussion as to providing some
modified version of the "<-" and "->" operators in R to do the reverse?
  That is, since R does not print the values of a command to the
console,  what if there were  an operator such that

  newobject <p- somefunction()

would do the same as

print(newobject <- somefunction())

Any thoughts?