[R] That dreaded floating point trap

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 15:39:16 CEST 2011

On 11-03-31 7:24 AM, Alexander Engelhardt wrote:
> Hi,
> I had a piece of code which looped over a decimal vector like this:
>

> for( i in where ){
>     thisdata<- subset(herde, herde$mlr>= i)
>     # do stuff with thisdata..
> }
>
> 'where' is a vector like seq(-1, 1, by=0.1)

The solution to this problem is to take steps by representable numbers,
not by numbers like 0.1 that can't be represented exactly.  For example,
seq(-1, 1, by=0.25) has exact entries, because fractions with small
powers of 2 in the denominator are all exactly representable.  ("Small"
depends on the numerator, but for fractions between 0 and 1 it's about
52, so not really so small.)

Duncan Murdoch