[R] Unexp. behavior from boot with multiple statistics

Andrew Robinson A.Robinson at ms.unimelb.edu.au
Wed May 4 01:11:54 CEST 2011

Your interpretation of what the output is supposed to look like is
actually correct.  Take a look at the estimates of the bias in the
BootStrap Statistics.  You will see that they are the same as the
difference between the location of colMeans of t and t0.

I hope that this helps,

Andrew

On Tue, May 03, 2011 at 12:15:05PM -0700, algorimancer wrote:
> I am attempting to use package boot to summarize and compare the performance
> of three models.  I'm using R 2.13.0 in a Win32 environment.
>
> My statistic function returns a vector of 6 values, 3 of which are error
> rates for different models, and 3 are pairwise differences between those
> error rates.  It looks like:
>
> multiEst<-function(dat,i)
> {
> 	c(E1,E2,E3,E2-E1,E3-E1,E3-E2);
> }
>
> then I call boot (using R=4 for simplicity of description) with:
>
> multiBoot=boot(data,multiEst,R=4)
>
> which gives reasonable results:
>
> Bootstrap Statistics :
>     original  bias    std. error
> t1*     0.07  0.3775  0.04193249
> t2*     0.08  0.3750  0.04654747
> t3*     0.04  0.4200  0.05354126
> t4*     0.01 -0.0025  0.00500000
> t5*    -0.03  0.0425  0.01500000
> t6*    -0.04  0.0450  0.01290994
>
> and the resulting "t0" contains the expected estimates of the statistics,
> > multiBoot$t0
> [1]  0.07  0.08  0.04  0.01 -0.03 -0.04
>
> however "t", which is supposed to contain bootstrap replicates of the
> statistic, doesn't.  It looks like this:
> > multiBoot$t
>      [,1] [,2] [,3] [,4] [,5]  [,6]
> [1,] 0.46 0.47 0.46 0.01 0.00 -0.01
> [2,] 0.39 0.39 0.39 0.00 0.00  0.00
> [3,] 0.45 0.46 0.47 0.01 0.02  0.01
> [4,] 0.49 0.50 0.52 0.01 0.03  0.02
>
> It is not clear where these columns come from --- they clearly do not
> resemble the estimates in "t0".
>
> If I define a separate statistic function for each desired estimate, the
> resulting "t" and "t0" are as expected, however it is important in this case
> that the separate estimates derive from the same bootstrap replicates.
>
> Any helpful suggestions? Or have I come upon a bug in the implementation?
>
> Note: the documentation provides the following definitions for these
> returned variables:
>
> t0 	The observed value of statistic applied to data.
> t 	A matrix with R rows each of which is a bootstrap replicate of statistic.
>

> --

Andrew Robinson
Program Manager, ACERA
Department of Mathematics and Statistics            Tel: +61-3-8344-6410
University of Melbourne, VIC 3010 Australia               (prefer email)
http://www.ms.unimelb.edu.au/~andrewpr              Fax: +61-3-8344-4599
http://www.acera.unimelb.edu.au/

Forest Analytics with R (Springer, 2011)
http://www.ms.unimelb.edu.au/FAwR/
Introduction to Scientific Programming and Simulation using R (CRC, 2009):
http://www.ms.unimelb.edu.au/spuRs/