[R] ANOVA 1 too few degrees of freedom

Rovinpiper david.j.meehan at gmail.com
Wed May 4 23:42:53 CEST 2011

This response went to my email:

Without your data it's hard to say, but one possibility is that your
plots are nested within treatments instead of crossed, or that you have
something rather more cunning going on involving the Days. For example
if you had 8 days for six of your plots and another 8 days for the
remaining 6 plots, you may find that the total degrees of freedom aren't
quite what you expected, as those subgroups need an intercept each. (I
had this for a replicated latin square design - but I have to say that
my problem then was that lm() gavbe me too many df and an apparently
unbalanced design - I had to add the superset factor manually to get it
right)

Another possibility is that one of your plots has no data; try
table(Combined.Plot) to check.