[R] split character vector by multiple keywords simultaneously

sunny sunayan at gmail.com
Thu May 5 01:08:40 CEST 2011

Hi. I have a character vector that looks like this:

> temp <- c("Company name: The first company General Manager: John Doe I
> Managers: John Doe II, John Doe III","Company name: The second company
> General Manager: Jane Doe I","Company name: The third company Managers:
> Jane Doe II, Jane Doe III")
> temp
[1] "Company name: The first company General Manager: John Doe I Managers:
John Doe II, John Doe III"
[2] "Company name: The second company General Manager: Jane Doe I"
[3] "Company name: The third company Managers: Jane Doe II, Jane Doe III"

I know all the keywords, i.e. "Company name:", "General Manager:",
"Managers:" etc. I'm looking for a way to split this character vector into
multiple character vectors, with one column for each keyword and the
corresponding values for each, i.e.

        Company name          General Manager                  Managers
1  The first company            John Doe I                John Doe II, John
Doe III
2 The second company        Jane Doe I
3  The third company                                          Jane Doe II,
Jane Doe III

I have tried a lot to find something suitable but haven't so far. Any help
will be greatly appreciated. I am running R-2.12.1 on x86_64 linux.

Thanks.