[R] Installing rgdal in R: correct -configure flags for GDAL install on Linux Redhat

Andrew Robinson A.Robinson at ms.unimelb.edu.au
Fri May 6 04:16:22 CEST 2011

Hi Katrina,

the error message below is actually pretty explicit.  Have you
installed the PROJ.4 library?  If not, then you need to install it.
When I had to do this I think that I used macports:

sudo port install proj

Then you need to tell configure where to find it, using the protocol
suggested below.

I hope that this helps.

Andrew

On Thu, May 05, 2011 at 05:23:56PM -0800, Katrina Bennett wrote:
> Hi, I'm installing rgdal but I keep having failures because I have not been
> able to find a good source of information for the correct configuration
> settings when installing GDAL.
>
> My error from the R install.packages("rgdal") is below.
>
> Can someone point me to a good source to tell me how to set after
> ./configure when installing GDAL?
>
> I'd like to be able to work with raster images, geotiffs, netCDF files, and
> other raster-based image processing in R.
>
> Right now I'm running ./configure for GDAL as follows:
>
> ./configure --prefix=$HOME/local/gdal/gdal-1.8.0 --with
> jasper=$HOME/local/jasper/jasper-1.900.1.uuid/src/libjasper
>
> Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
>
> Error output from R:
> * installing *source* package 'rgdal' ...
> gdal-config: gdal-config
> checking for gcc... gcc -std=gnu99
> checking for suffix of executables...
> checking whether gcc -std=gnu99 accepts -g... yes
> checking for gcc -std=gnu99 option to accept ANSI C... none needed
> checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -std=gnu99 -E
> checking for egrep... grep -E
> checking for ANSI C header files... yes
> checking for sys/types.h... yes
> checking for sys/stat.h... yes
> checking for stdlib.h... yes
> checking for string.h... yes
> checking for memory.h... yes
> checking for strings.h... yes
> checking for inttypes.h... yes
> checking for stdint.h... yes
> checking for unistd.h... yes
> checking proj_api.h usability... no
> checking proj_api.h presence... no
> checking for proj_api.h... no
> Error: proj_api.h not found.
> If the PROJ.4 library is installed in a non-standard location,
> use --configure-args='--with-proj-
> include=/opt/local/include'
> for example, replacing /opt/local/* with appropriate values
> for your installation. If PROJ.4 is not installed, install it.
> ERROR: configuration failed for package 'rgdal'
> * removing
> '/import/home/u1/uaf/kbennett/R/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-library/2.11/rgdal'
>

> --
> Katrina E. Bennett
> PhD Student
> University of Alaska Fairbanks
> International Arctic Research Center
> 930 Koyukuk Drive, PO Box 757340
> Fairbanks, Alaska 99775-7340
> 907-474-1939 office
> 907-385-7657 cell
> kebennett at alaska.edu
>

> Personal Address:
> UAF, PO Box 752525
> Fairbanks, Alaska 99775-2525
> bennett.katrina at gmail.com
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Andrew Robinson
Program Manager, ACERA
Department of Mathematics and Statistics            Tel: +61-3-8344-6410
University of Melbourne, VIC 3010 Australia               (prefer email)
http://www.ms.unimelb.edu.au/~andrewpr              Fax: +61-3-8344-4599
http://www.acera.unimelb.edu.au/

Forest Analytics with R (Springer, 2011)
http://www.ms.unimelb.edu.au/FAwR/
Introduction to Scientific Programming and Simulation using R (CRC, 2009):
http://www.ms.unimelb.edu.au/spuRs/