[R] RV: R question

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri May 6 15:17:11 CEST 2011

On May 6, 2011, at 4:03 AM, Philipp Pagel wrote:

>> which is the maximum large of digits that R has?, because SQL work
>> with 50 digits I think.

I am wondering if that is binary or decimal.

>> and I need a software that work  with a lot
>> of digits.
>
> The .Machine() command will provide some insight into these matters.

On my device (and I suspect on all versions of R) .Machine is a built-
in list and there is no .Machine() function.

.Machine returns a list that includes
$integer.max
[1] 2147483647

And you can look at the FAQ:
http://cran.r-project.org/doc/FAQ/R-FAQ.html#Why-doesn_0027t-R-think-these-numbers-are-equal_003f

Which tells you that R can handle 53 digits _binary_

In agreement with  these components of .Machine:
$double.base
[1] 2

$double.digits
[1] 53

... and the FAQ has some explicit warnings about trusting more than 16
digits decimal.

And look at the package, 'gmp'.

--

David Winsemius, MD