[R] Cumulative dose in survival models

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Tue May 10 15:51:24 CEST 2011

On May 10, 2011, at 10:52 , klaus at kaae-consult.dk wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> I want to fit a CPH survival model with a time-dependent cumulative exposure variable. More specifically, I have exposure measurements for all cohort members at discrete times (yearly measurements) during follow-up.
>
> I suppose that when estimating the model parameters the most correct would be to have the cumulative exposure for everybody at risk at each death time, as I cannot assume the cumulative exposure to be constant between the yearly measurements . Thus, I need to calculate (interpolate) cumulative exposure for everybody at risk at each death time and pass this to the estimation routine.
>
> Does anyone know how to do this in R? Any help would be much appreciated.

You didn't say what your data layout is. One record per yearly measurement?

Generic time splitting is discussed in the 2nd ed. of ISwR (or peek into the scripts in the ISwR package). That is for a simplified situation (5 year age groups) but should generalize to arbitrary cutpoints with some elaboration. Then you "just" need to figure out the exposure. If you can things narrowed down to

- cumulative exposure at last measurement
- current exposure
- time since last measurement at end of observation interval

then it would be obvious how to proceed. One worry would be whether you have the current exposure for those who die. I.e., you do not want to use interpolations that depend on _next_ year's measurements.

--
Peter Dalgaard
Phone: (+45)38153501
Email: pd.mes at cbs.dk  Priv: PDalgd at gmail.com