[R] R won't start keeps crashing

Ivan Calandra ivan.calandra at uni-hamburg.de
Fri May 13 12:03:50 CEST 2011

I'm no expert, but checking the R-help list, I got the impression that
saving a workspace often leads to problems.
The interesting question (for me) would be to know why and how the
corrupted file got corrupted, and then, what to do to avoid the problem
if one really wants to save the workspace.

For you Bazman76, I would advise you to never save the workspace. Save
all command lines in a script (*.R) and important objects to files
(either with save() and then load(), or one of the write functions, or
saveObject()/loadObject from package R.utils, and so on).
Someone please correct me if it is a bad practice.

HTH,
Ivan

Le 5/12/2011 18:27, Bazman76 a écrit :
> I will read the intor to R.
>
> When closing I got a pop up asking me if I wanted to save the workspace I
> just clicked yes?
>
> here is what I got
>
> load("C:/Documents and Settings/Hugh/My Documents/vars/vars/data")
> Error in readChar(con, 5L, useBytes = TRUE) : cannot open the connection
> In addition: Warning message:
> In readChar(con, 5L, useBytes = TRUE) :
>    cannot open compressed file 'C:/Documents and Settings/Hugh/My
> Documents/vars/vars/data', probable reason 'Permission denied'
>

> --

Ivan CALANDRA
PhD Student
University of Hamburg
Biozentrum Grindel und Zoologisches Museum
Abt. Säugetiere
Martin-Luther-King-Platz 3
D-20146 Hamburg, GERMANY
+49(0)40 42838 6231